flowers

flowers
this is a vision of the sound of trumpets

Redemption of our Body

The creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of decay
into the liberty of the glory of the children of God.

For we know that the whole creation groans and travails in pain together until now.

Not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves,

waiting for adoption,

the redemption of our body.
Romans 8:21-23

Friday, August 28, 2015

Some Forages


So i'm amazed at everything out there... God's generous bounty, so overlooked, especially in the city!

With foraging eyes open now, two days ago I saw these curious fruits on 7 ornamental trees near work. Not wild, but I know they weren't planted for their fruit, so I took one and looked it up. A Kousa dogwood. The fruit is amazing, like peaches and very ripe guava, the skin thick and a bit bitter with phytonutrients. It is edenic. Some websites are not thrilled with the fruit - all I can think is, this must be a better variety! This should not be missed on earth! So I picked more! One leaf is still attached in the photo.


I pulled out of the strawberry patch this weed that looked familiar from my attempts to absorb "Northeast Foraging" by Leda Meredith. Indeed, there it is - purslane! I've never eaten it but it tastes so familiar, liked cooked celery? No, I cant't place it!

I added to my salad today a bit of peppergrass, (on the right of the photo), young plantain leaf, lamb's quarters, and yellow wood sorrel.

Also today I saw in the garden some kind of thistle that I think is edible, will have to check it out more closely.

The hay covering the strawberries came from a farm and I believe it brought the seeds of the purslane, the thistle, and some fuzzy leaved plant that I hope turns out to be a squash! Or, that must have come from my kitchen compost.

Down by the river, a big patch of mint, lady's thumb, jewelweed, sumac - not in flower, need to confirm it's not poison - with groundnut vines twined through it. And of course, red mulberries - I got about a quart, and some leaves fell, which make a very healthy tea.

Nearby the house too is echinacea, clover flowers, Asiatic dayflower, wild carrot, dandilion, goldenrod, and black nightshade, and of course, maple trees....

Here are the mulberries drying; with some sweet orange cherry tomatoes from a plant given me by my father's wife. The sweetest tomatoes ever, they fulfill their identity (bright, tangy) fruits.



No comments:

Post a Comment